Have a question, comment, or idea for the GSE IT Team? Contact us below:
Student Email FAQs
Google@GSE Email FAQs
- How do I login?
- What if I forget my Google@GSE password? How do I change my Google@GSE password?
- How do I change how my name appears?
- I already have a personal Google acount. How can I manage two or more accounts?
- How do I use Google@GSE with a mail program such as Apple Mail or Outlook?
- How do I use Google@GSE on a mobile phone?
- How do I share documents, calendars, and other resources with other Google@GSE users?
- Can I share documents, calendars, and other resources with Google users who are not part of the Google@GSE system?
- How do I use GSE chat with a program such as Adium/iChat (MacOS) or Pidgin (Windows)?
- How can I get help with Google@GSE?
- Go to http://gmail.gse.upenn.edu.
- Enter your PennKey in the username field. Enter your password and click the "Sign In" button.
You can also login at http://gmail.com. However, you will need to enter your full email address as the username.
What if I forget my Google@GSE password? How do I change my Google@GSE password?
If you wish to change your Google@GSE password, please visit http://email.gse.upenn.edu. Log in with your PennKey username and password and use the form to enter a new password for your Google@GSE account.
- Sign into your account at http://gmail.gse.upenn.edu.
- Locate the gear icon in the top right corner.
- Click on the gear, then click "Settings."
- Click on the Accounts tab at the top.
- Under Send Mail As, click "edit info."
- Click the button under your current name, and enter how you would like your name to appear in the empty white box.
I already have a personal Google account. How can I manage two or more accounts?
You can be simultaneously signed in to a Google@GSE account and a personal Google account, then switch between the two accounts. See Google documentation on Using Multiple Accounts for details.
- See details about how to configure an email client using IMAP
- See details about how to configure an email client using POP
Remember to follow the instructions for Google Apps users, which include using the full email address (e.g., firstname.lastname@example.org) as the user name, and the password you selected for Google@GSE.
How do I use Google@GSE on a mobile phone?
If you have an iOS device such as an iPhone, iPad or iPod touch, you also have the option of using Google Sync. Google Sync makes it possible to fully integrate your Google@GSE email, calendar, and contacts list with Mail, iCal, and Address Book (iOS 3 and above).
- See details about how to set up Google Sync for email, calendar and contacts
- See details about how to set up calendar only, using CalDAV
For Blackberry users, to configure your Google@GSE account on your device you will want to:
- Go to Email Setup and select add an account, select Gmail.
- Enter your GSE address but enter an incorrect password, this will allow the device to provide you with the option for manual configuration.
When the first attempt fails, click on the link that says 'I will provide the settings for the account,' select IMAP/POP, enter your correct password, enter the server imap.googlemail.com, and your Username is your full GSE email address. Click "Save" and your account will be created on the device.
For other devices, you can use IMAP (recommended) or POP to access your email:
- See details about how to configure a mobile phone using IMAP
- See details about how to configure a mobile phone using POP
Remember to follow the instructions for Google Apps users, which include using the full email address (e.g. email@example.com) as the user name, and the password you selected for Google@GSE.
How do I share documents, calenders and other resources with other Google@GSE users?
You can share Google@GSE resources by using the same general process for sharing resources in ordinary Google accounts. In the "sharing" box, just start typing the name or GSE email address of the person with whom you want share. You'll see that as you are typing, a list of Google@GSE account holders will appear. Select your intended person from the list of available choices. Please note that most GSE faculty and staff do NOT have Google@GSE accounts.
Can I share documents, calenders and other resources with Google users who are not part of the Google@GSE system?
Yes, you can share your docs, calendars or other resources with any valid Google account. Just enter their Google account in the list of people with whom you want to share.
Adium/iChat for Mac OS
- If you have no other chat accounts, select Google Talk from the list of account types when you open the program. Otherwise, go to the Adium/iChat menu, select Preferences, Account, and click the plus sign at the bottom left in order to choose the account type.
- Fill in your full email address for the GTalk ID or Account name (e.g. firstname.lastname@example.org) and your email password.
- Click Done and you should be successfully connected.
Pidgin for Windows
- If you have no other chat accounts, click Add when you first open the program and select XMPP from the list of account types. Otherwise, click Accounts, Manage Accounts, and Add in order to choose the account type.
- Fill in just the beginning portion of your email address for the user name (e.g. student123 for email@example.com) and your email password.
- Next to Domain, fill in gse.upenn.edu
- Under the Advanced tab, fill in talk.google.com next to Connected Server.
- Click Add and you should be successfully connected.
How can I get help with Google@GSE?
Google has lots of great help available. Just click the little gear icon in the upper right corner of the screen, right next to your user name. Then select "Help" from the drop-down menu.
If you can't find an answer in the Google docs, or if your question concerns the status of your account, please contact us.