Mission & Purpose
Located at the University of Pennsylvania and under the direction of Professor Marybeth Gasman, the Center for Minority Serving Institutions’ goals are:
- to ELEVATE the educational contributions of MSIs, ensuring their participation in national conversations
- to INCREASE rigorous scholarship on MSIs;
- to CONNECT MSI academic and administrative leadership to leading reform initiatives in the United States;
- to INFORM administrative, instructional and philanthropic practices at MSIs;
- to ADVANCE effective policies that have a positive impact on strengthening MSIs, the development and support of their students and faculty, and the quality of the elementary and secondary schools within their communities.
- to BRING TOGETHER MSIs around their common interests, strengths, and challenges to increase efficiency and optimize resources.
- to ENHANCE the efforts of MSIs to close educational achievement gaps and assessment performance of disadvantaged communities